Welcome to Swift Owners Club UK
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrade 1.3 --> 1.6 Sport

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip
  • Last active: Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice.

I currently have a swift 2006 1.3 vvti model and I love it great little car and has done me well since purchasing although I'm now looking at upgrading to a 1.6 Sport.

Insurance here in Ireland is a joke and I cannot get insured on the sport till I'm 21 (next month) - let alone even get a quote.

I'm expecting a quote of maybe a couple hundred extra on the insurance for the changeover on top of the €2000+ I'm already paying for the 1.3. Then next year when my quote comes in it'll be still just as high. (I've a full license and 2 years no claims with no accidents or anything like that)

The swift sport I'm looking at is a 2008. I can sell my own and add a few hundred to get the sport.

Basically I'm just wondering is it a worthwhile upgrade? Will I notice much of a difference between the two models? I really love the look of the sport with the rain exhaust, alloys and spoiler.

I haven't driven the sport before and there are very few I've seen here in Ireland.

What you guys reckon? Anyone who's driven the 1.3 and 1.6 notice a massive difference?

Cheers in advance for any replys!👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

logikmaster
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland
  • Last active: Nov 06 2017 05:36 PM
that's some insurance premium there pal!
As for your question on differences there are a few obvious ones such as power, acceleration, handling and driver comfort that will be immediately apparent when you drive the sport.
Power for the increase in BHP as the sport is 125 and the 1.3 something like 80+ if I remember correctly, so you can expect some fun right there.
Acceleration is aligned to the increase in power and as such will also be immediate (till you get used to it)
Handling as the sport is set up with a stiffer suspension settings and benefits from slightly lower ride height and runs 17" rims as std.
Driver comfort comes from the sports seats with better holding of you when looning through the lanes...... but it's also sprung differently to the 1.3 seats which are softer and more pliant when moving around in them as the sports hug you in neat and I think much more comfortable- just watch for the driver side seat squab begin worn through as this is a common issue where people don't get into the seat without sliding across that squab thereby over time damaging it.
When you look to buy your next car check for service history as gearbox needs oil change every 27K and engine serviced every 12k. Otherwise just the usual points like alloy condition, panel damage, exhaust, suspension condition checks etc that you would normally look over when buying a used car. If it's from a dealer then get 3 months minimum warranty if you can, make sure it brakes in a straight line and no pulling to one side or other when driving straight ahead and that the MOT is a decent duration.
Great cars to own and drive, mpg is average at around mid to high 30's and the ownership cost is not any different to your 1.3 per se.
Good luck and enjoy
Running Stock aside from wind deflectors, Genuine sport mats, Pipercross Air filter, under bonnet tidy bolts & mud flaps........... for now

584935.png

Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip

that's some insurance premium there pal!
As for your question on differences there are a few obvious ones such as power, acceleration, handling and driver comfort that will be immediately apparent when you drive the sport.
Power for the increase in BHP as the sport is 125 and the 1.3 something like 80+ if I remember correctly, so you can expect some fun right there.
Acceleration is aligned to the increase in power and as such will also be immediate (till you get used to it)
Handling as the sport is set up with a stiffer suspension settings and benefits from slightly lower ride height and runs 17" rims as std.
Driver comfort comes from the sports seats with better holding of you when looning through the lanes...... but it's also sprung differently to the 1.3 seats which are softer and more pliant when moving around in them as the sports hug you in neat and I think much more comfortable- just watch for the driver side seat squab begin worn through as this is a common issue where people don't get into the seat without sliding across that squab thereby over time damaging it.
When you look to buy your next car check for service history as gearbox needs oil change every 27K and engine serviced every 12k. Otherwise just the usual points like alloy condition, panel damage, exhaust, suspension condition checks etc that you would normally look over when buying a used car. If it's from a dealer then get 3 months minimum warranty if you can, make sure it brakes in a straight line and no pulling to one side or other when driving straight ahead and that the MOT is a decent duration.
Great cars to own and drive, mpg is average at around mid to high 30's and the ownership cost is not any different to your 1.3 per se.
Good luck and enjoy

I know man it's so expensive mini mortgage for me! Haha it's terrible hard to get insurance over here for my first year I had the black box and that was the only way I could even get a quote on anything besides a micra!

Anyways, I gave my insurance a shout yesterday and the girl basically said I couldn't get insured until I'm 21, but she indirectly said that if I bought the car they would more less sort me out and it would be an additional 200 quid for the transfer. (Bringing my total premium this year to € 2273).

I was happy enough with that as I've really wanted the sport.

I then ran a cartell check on the sport this morning and it's been listed as an insurance write off in the UK - then imported here.

This just makes it much more hassle for me and I've to get an independent check and all that apparently.

There's only 3 including the one I was looking at for sale at the moment the others have high mileage and is 10k+ which I don't have!

I'm gonna leave it for a while just stick with the 1.3 for another bit save up and I'll hopefully get a 2012+ model sport.

Cheers for the reply mate I appreciate it! I've only heard good things about the sport and the things you've listed regarding suspension and the additional power is just what I'm looking for - something that's peppy and sticks to the road.

logikmaster
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland
  • Last active: Nov 06 2017 05:36 PM
Aye it always pays to check the vehicl history.
Could you not come over to the UK and pick one up and then drive back?
Jack97 has one up for sale that's clean and tidy with 40k miles and fsh on an 08 plate for 3995 or offers.
Running Stock aside from wind deflectors, Genuine sport mats, Pipercross Air filter, under bonnet tidy bolts & mud flaps........... for now

584935.png

Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip

Aye it always pays to check the vehicl history.
Could you not come over to the UK and pick one up and then drive back?
Jack97 has one up for sale that's clean and tidy with 40k miles and fsh on an 08 plate for 3995 or offers.

Yeah it does little bummed though cause it was a nice deal besides that.

Thanks for the advice about buying in the UK since then I've had a look at some up the north and would work out about €5500 total to purchase and vrt a 2011 with 73k miles.

But then I seen some nice ones in the UK aswell and for the extra grand I'd get the newer model plus a couple of years younger but I think when I get the few quid together I'll definitely.

Thanks for the replys man really looking forward to getting the sport.

Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip

UPDATE:

I've just purchased a Silver 2007 Reg Swift Sport.

Car checked out all good not written off or imported like the last one.

They're hard enough to come by here so as soon as it went up I dived on it - sold my 1.3, took a total of 4 hours on 2 buses to pick it up just waiting to get insurance sorted.

Unfortunately I couldn't drive her home but my Dad had a field day.

The roads home were a mixture of B roads and motorway.

He got a little pedal happy to say the least and got just shy of 200km/h on the motorway. I gotta admit I went a little white in the face.  Tyres are Falken ecorun 195 and a decent bit of tread left on them, are these any good in terms of tyres? On the B roads the car tucked in nicely to each and every corner my Dad absolutely loved the spin home.

Overall so far it was more than I was expecting and for someone who's only had the 1.3 as my quickest car I think the peppy 1.6 will be more than enough to keep me happy.

Needless to say, chuffed and happy to join the swift sport club.

First thing was first when I got her home, washed, polished and waxed. I cleaned all the rubbers and around the engine with Meguiars all purpose cleaner (Great stuff by the way!) and gave her some love.

Any ideas on modifications? I can't really do anything major due to insurance but I was thinking just small aesthetics to make it my own such as red calipers, the wheels will need a refurb too.

Cheers.

• jimbo1959 likes this

jimbo1959
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • LocationWest central belt of Scotland
  • Last active: Nov 14 2017 08:15 AM

Keep it immaculate until your insurance becomes manageable, sounds as though you're on that track anyway, lol. Keep up the good work and the the TLC. Welcome onboard!

• Leon96 likes this

Highco
  • Members
  • 818 posts
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Last active: Nov 15 2017 04:37 PM

I almost completely rebuild my 1.5 to a 1.6 outside and in and I already find it worthwhile, so you in my opinion its very worth it. And you get the extra horses too!

• Leon96 likes this

Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip

I almost completely rebuild my 1.5 to a 1.6 outside and in and I already find it worthwhile, so you in my opinion its very worth it. And you get the extra horses too!

Highco, 

I've recently purchased a swift sport 2007 Mk 2 and the difference is night and day!

I absolutely love it, the bump in power is great but its the better handling compared to the 1.3 GLX I previously had is effeminately the best part.

The difference was much more than I was expecting!

Leon96
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • PipPip

Keep it immaculate until your insurance becomes manageable, sounds as though you're on that track anyway, lol. Keep up the good work and the the TLC. Welcome onboard!

I've recently purchase a sss 2007 and it's an absolute joy to drive such a difference to the 1.3! Insurance wise it cost me an extra 165 quid bringing the total up to 2200! It was funny actually they wouldn't update my policy until I was 21 so I had the car in my garden for a week beforehand haha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users